Effective Thursday, September 9:
On Wednesday, September 8, the Columbia City Council approved a city-wide mask ordinance effective immediately requiring masks to be worn in all public places within the city to mitigate the spread of COVID-19. First Presbyterian Church is located within the city of Columbia and we are complying with this city-wide mask ordinance.
We ask that you please be in prayer, especially for unity and wisdom, as we continue to walk through this difficult season.
- The 8:30am service will transition to a mask optional service, with all pews open for seating.
- The 50% capacity limitation in the Sanctuary will no longer be in effect for the 8:30am service.
- The 8:30am service will return to passing the offering plate during the service.
- There will no longer be overflow seating in the Family Life Center during any worship service.
- Summer Lectures will begin on Sunday, June 6, in the Family Life Center. The series topic for this year is Discipleship: Following Jesus in an Uncertain World.
- There will be no Covid-related limitations on attendance for the Summer Lectures. The Summer Lectures will also be live streamed and recorded for the church website.
- For more information on the Summer Lecture speakers and dates, click here.
Effective this Sunday, May 23:
- The 11:15am and 6:00pm services will have all pews open for seating. Attendees of these services are welcome to sit in any pew, regardless of the "x" tape. The 8:30am service will remain seating in every other row, until Sunday, June 6 (see below).
- The 50% capacity limitation in the Sanctuary will no longer be in effect for the 11:15am and 6:00pm services.
- The 11:15am and 6:00pm services will return to passing the offering plate within the pew during the service.
- Beginning Sunday, April 11, we will increase the capacity of the Sanctuary during worship services to 50% capacity. We will continue to skip every other row downstairs and in the balcony.
- The 8:30am service will continue to be mask-required. The 11:15am service and 6:00pm service will be mask optional.
- The Family Life Center will no longer be used during the 6:00pm service. It will remain open for the 8:30am and 11:15am services.
- Children's Church will resume during 11:15am service.
- Reservations are no longer required for nursery during worship services or Sunday School.
- Beginning Sunday, January 3, the 8:30am Worship Service will be mask-required to offer an opportunity for everyone to worship, especially those who have not yet been able to to attend worship. Masks must be worn during the entirety of the 8:30am worship service. Children in the nursery for the 8:30am service are not required to wear masks. Masks are strongly recommended for the 11:15am service, 6:00pm service, and Sunday School classes.
- While our campus remains open, we are encouraging Staff members to work from home between December 18, 2020, and January 1, 2021, if they are able to do their work from home. This is not a shutdown but rather an option to promote social distancing during the Christmas season. The campus will remain open and all scheduled events, activities, and worship services will go forward as planned.
Effective this Sunday, November 15, we will no longer conduct temperature checks prior to entering campus buildings, but will transition to a self-screening process.
Social distancing and room capacity limits are still in place.
Masks and face coverings are strongly recommended.
To self-screen, please consider the questions below before you arrive on campus. If you can answer yes to any of these questions, stay home.1) Have you had close contact with individuals with known COVID-19 infection in the last two weeks?2) Have you had fever or chills in the last two weeks?3) Have you had have a new cough or difficulty breathing in the last two weeks?4) Have you lost the sense of smell/taste?
- This decision to transition to self screening was made based on CDC guidance that 1) Performing screening or healthy checks will not be completely effective because asymptomatic individuals or individuals with mild non-specific symptoms may not realize they are infected and may pass through screening. The CDC does not mandate screening with temperature checks. 2) The focus for prevention of COVID-19 is knowledge of COVID-19, self-screening, handwashing, social distancing, and mask recommendations.
- This decision was also made based on consultations with medical professionals within the church.
Sunday Worship Updates
- Beginning Sunday, November 1, RSVPs will not be required for worship services. Again, there will not be an RSVP portal for Sunday, November 1.
- Screening, social distancing, and mask protocols and recommendations will still be in place.
- Once the Sanctuary reaches capacity, we will direct people to seats in the Family Life Center.
Sunday School Updates
- Beginning Sunday, November 1, RSVPs will not be required for Adult or Youth Sunday School classes.
- Please continue to RSVP for Children's Sunday School and nursery programs.
Wednesday @ First
- Wednesday @ First will begin to meet in person on Wednesday, November 4. RSVPs will be required to attend. You can RSVP by clicking here.
Sunday Worship Updates
- Beginning Sunday, September 13, all three services (8:30am, 11:15am, and 6:00pm) will take place in the Sanctuary.
- An additional 150 overflow seats are available in the Family Life Center for those who do not have a reservation for Sanctuary seating. There is not a registration for overflow seats.
- RSVPs are still required for each service. You can RSVP here.
- Screening will still take place prior to each service. Masks are required for screening, and strongly encouraged for the service.
- A Family Room is available for our young families during the service.
This room will be opened for all Sunday service hours including 8:30 a.m., 11:00 a.m., & 6:00 p.m. The family room will be located in room 102 of the Education Building. Only one parent will be allowed in the family room with their nursery-age child while the other parent goes to the worship service. This room is only for children who are five years old or younger. No youth or older children will be allowed. Parents are to watch their own children. There will be limited toys. Before entering the room, a staff person will be there to check temperatures for both the parent and child. Masks are encouraged for all adults.
Sunday School Updates
- A few Adult Sunday School classes will meet in person beginning on Sunday, September 13. More details can be found on the Sunday School web page.
- Nursery, Children, and Youth Sunday School classes will begin meeting on Sunday, September 20, on a very limited basis. RSVPs are required, and will open on Monday, September 14.
- The Bridge is open for first-floor book service and approved meetings.
- We have a number of committees and church groups that meet on our campus. We ask that each committee chair contact the office to let us know when they would like to meet. For committee and other church-related meetings, please contact Judy Nance at [email protected].
- If you are a part of a local ministry or group that uses the church buildings for meetings, we ask that your group leader contact the office about resuming any meetings on campus. We will re-evaluate each group and their meeting location as we receive the requests. Non-church ministry event coordinators should contact Barbara Shealy at [email protected].
Previous updates regarding COVID-19: